PURPOSE: To provide support and advice to Members and Officers of the Agency and Members of the Fund Advisory Committee as required to enable them meeting theirs corporate governance, legal and regulatory obligations.
REPORTS TO: Director of Telecommunications, Chair of Board and Chairs of Sub-Committees
• Ensuring that the Agency complies with its statutory obligations under any relevant laws and regulations as relates to management of records, filings and other matters within the administrative purview of the office holder
• Advising the Board and Committees on compliance with statutory obligations with respect to discharge of the functions of the Agency
• Supporting the Board Chair in performing his/her role, assisting the Chairman and Directors in the conduct of meetings and their directorial and governance obligations and responsibilities advising where necessary on conflicts of interest of Directors
• Assisting with/attending to signing of contracts and other documentation in connection with administrative matters
• Providing first line/basic legal advice and liaising with Agency’s lawyers as required
• Liaising with accountants, auditors and other professional advisers in relation to various governance matters.
• Maintaining corporate documents and records including advising on legal and regulatory issues under the Freedom of Information Act and other relevant legislation
• Managing the expenditure of the department in accordance with delegated authority, within limits authorized by the Board of Directors and advising the Head of Corporate Services on reasons for variances on a monthly basis.
• Conforming to Financial Regulations of the Agency and to applicable provisions of the Procurement Act, the Fiscal and Financial Management Act and the Audit Act.
• Overseeing the development of performance objectives and work plans of direct reports and ensuring that these are aligned with the strategic objectives.
• Monitoring and evaluating the performance of division staff in line with the Work Programme and initiate or recommend training and other development interventions or activities as necessary.
Advocacy and Representation
• Manages communications with the public.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Attorney-at-Law with at least seven (7) years post-qualification experience. A master’s degree in Law would be a significant advantage.
- An additional qualification in engineering, economics, accounting or finance would be a significant asset.
- Experience in telecommunications and ICT at would be a significant asset.
Core Values: Integrity, Respect, Service, Accountability
Core Competencies: Professionalism, Discretion, Teamwork, Results Focus
Functional Competences: Communication, Problem Solving, Analytical Thinking, Planning & Organizing
FUNCTIONAL: Knowledge, Skills and Specialized Techniques:
- Bring to bear problem-solving skills to develop alternatives and solutions to complex issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, including technical writing skills.
- Working knowledge of the legal and regulatory policy environment.
- Strong knowledge telecommunications legal and regulatory policy development tools.
- Ability to participate in multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Regular contact has to be made with personnel at various technical and managerial levels in both Government and Private Agencies for the purpose of the holding discussions and gathering data, information on a wide range of issues including proposals, projects, problems and occurrences.
AUTHORITY AND INDEPENDENCE
The job holder has the authority to:
- Manage line staff
- Approve expenditure within authorized budgets
- The job is performed in a modern office environment.
- Local travel is required sometimes to destinations with access restrictions.
- Moderate overseas travel may be required, sometimes to destinations with access challenges.
Applications comprising Curriculum Vitae and a one-page Cover Letter should be addressed to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Public Telecommunications and must be submitted no later than 23:00 hours on October 5, 2018 via electronic mail to email@example.com. Emails must bear the subject line Application: Corporate Secretary, Telecommunications Agency.
The Agency thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.